Saturday, January 30, 2010

Changes Update

So part of the changes I've made include my diet. I joined a new gym recently and with it get two free sessions with a trainer/nutritionist I can use how I want. We talked about nutrition mainly and made the decision to cut down to 2000 calories/day based on 5 meals of 400 calories each. Since I'm adding muscle now that I'll shed once my endurance activites pick up more, we're looking at 160-170g or protein per day and each meal generally not having more than 10g of fat. Keeping sugars low which means no pop or Starbucks; no white breads (not a real problem for me), not much of things like orange juice, etc.

My initial thoughts? So far I've been able to stick to it but I had a follow-up discussion and asked how the hell they expect people to stick to a diet of water and whey protein shakes. I understand the science of it but disagree with the practicality of it. That said, I'll stick to it for a bit, see if I get some results and re-evaluate.

One other thing I've realized is that with only 400 calories/meal, I'm always hungry. There may be a 30 minute window after a workout that I'm satisfied, but otherwise I'm hungry. To be fair, I was probably over-eating before and my body needs to adjust, but I also think what I've been told is more of a gym rat approach and less of an endurance approach. I owe a visit to my old coach who is very "up" on all things nutrition so I'm gonna run it by him sometime soon.

Other updates? Well, I went to yoga the day after a really hard workout (with weights) and my arms were shaking doing the simplest things. Needless to say it made for a long session. It was also a pretty hard session, but I enjoyed that aspect of it. New things I hadn't done before, including a headstand. That was going well until my arms gave out and I came tumbling down. Good thing it wasn't a crowded class!

Spent the day today up at Keystone skiing on my teles. Doing a thousand lunges down the side of the mountain two days removed from a solid legs workout isn't the smartest thing, but I felt as good on the teles as I ever had. Pretty happy with the day.

2 comments:

RPHTourist said...

Forget the nutritionist. I think you need a shrink! Oh well. More KFC for me when we see you next!
Dad

ryanhillard said...

I'm willing to make exceptions for things like biscuits and gravy and taco pizza. I may be slightly crazy but I'm not completely stupid!