Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It's Over

It's over. Ski season. Unfortunately it's gone now. Technically I think that A-Basin closes this weekend but I won't be around for it since the end of ski season means the weather's getting nicer and it's time to ride bikes. But before we get there, here's a few pics from the season. Okay, they're all actually from the same day but who's really keeping count. A couple weeks ago I took a Friday off work and Brant and I went up to Beaver Creek for the day. As luck would have it, it was snowing pretty good. As *my* luck would have it, we almost didn't get out of Denver. Once we did it was mostly smooth sailing. In fact, the sailing was so smooth that we drove right by the exit and kept going for an extra 15 miles or so. How two people don't even notice the freakin mountain out the left window is beyond me but it happened. A quick turn around later and we were on the hill which we almost had to ourselves. From the first run we knew it was gonna be a good day. Actually, it was probably the best day of skiing I had all year. Nice, soft powder and no lines whatsoever. We got a solid 4 hours of skiing in and could've kept going. But since we knew we were heading up to Aspen for the rest of the weekend, we didn't kill ourselves. Still, every run was as good as the last.






I started the season intent on getting 20 days in. Since that requires driving up at least once a weekend and a couple/few weekend trips, I didn't quite make it and fell about a week short. I got a total of 14 days which still isn't bad considering the snow wasn't always great. There's also the added nuisance of dealing with crowds and the cost of parking at the Vail Resorts mountains, but that's a different story. The good news is that I made some pretty good strides on my teles and am much more confident getting down the mountain on them now. It's a fun switch from the alpine skis when the conditions aren't as good. Turns out it's also fun on them on good days like when Matt and I skied at A-Basin. Perfect bluebird sky day.







3 comments:

Chad Beert said...

First thing that came to my head when I saw this:
D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

Rick Lapinski said...

I think Beert might be rollin too...

ryanhillard said...

I'm going with Rick on this one Beert. That computrainer class you did this morning may have knocked something loose. Well done on the script though!